Moors End, a stately three-story brick home, was constructed between 1829 and 1834 by Jared Coffin, a wealthy mariner and ship builder, during the heyday of Nantucket's prosperous whaling era. This iconic property, situated on over an acre of land, includes an extensive heirloom rose garden framed with formal boxwood hedges, and is encircled with a brick wall for privacy on Pleasant Street. Two additional structures complete the estate including Nine and Eleven Candlehouse Lane featuring an 1850 carriage house and stable and Two Mill Street, a 1921 home, with three bedrooms and three baths.
Enter through the stately front door with fan louvered detail to a gracious foyer with high ceilings and a curved stairway with carved detailed trim. To the right of the center hallway is the double front living with two fireplaces highlighting a continuous panorama mural depicting the journey of Nantucket whaling voyages signed by Stanley Rowland in 1926. To the left of the foyer is the formal dining room and wood burning fireplace with hand painted French wallpaper describing the story of Captain Cook's South Sea sailing expeditions. Continue off the dining room to a cozy sitting room with access to side porches. The rear wing features a renovated (2013) dine-in kitchen with soapstone counters and high-end appliances. Continue through the kitchen to a large family room with expansive views of the gardens. There is easy access to the brick side terrace from both rooms. Powder room.
Huge primary bedroom with cove ceiling and fireplace plus three doors leading to outside porch area overlooking the lush gardens. Two full baths, one with Delft tile and tub, second is an onyx bath with shower. Two additional spacious bedrooms each with fireplaces share a shower bath. Classic library and game room with large fireplace and built-in bookshelves and wide plank flooring. Fabulous views from the sunroom attached to the Pumpkin Pine library. Back staircase with powder room.
Bedroom one has a shower bath and two additional bedrooms share a renovated hall bath with skylight. Bank of closets located in the hall with stairs leading to a cupola with handwritten notes from sailors and sea captains from the 1800's.
The lower level named “The Bistro” featuring brick walls and floors has hosted many garden parties and gatherings with ground level access to the garden and surrounding yard. There is a newly designed main staircase and an additional secondary stairway with direct access to the laundry and storage room.
Listing Company: Atlantic East Nantucket Real Estate